Gartner® Hype Cycle™ for Data Security, 2022
This Hype Cycle covers many aspects of data security that SRM leaders must review in relation to their organizational risk appetite, and where data is stored, processed and accessed. Baffle is recognized as a Sample Vendor in the Gartner Hype Cycle™ for Data Security, 2022.
- "Format-preserving encryption (FPE) protects data at rest and in use, and when accessed through applications, while maintaining the original data length and format. It’s used to protect fields in a growing number of databases and document types on-premises and on public cloud services. FPE is an important anonymization technique to support data protection and privacy compliance requirements, and reduces the risks of data residency, hacking or insider threats by controlling access to data."
- "Adoption is increasing due to the fast-growing need to provide data protection and increasing number of privacy laws across the globe."
- "The ability to mix the implementation of FPE with data masking is also increasing its dynamic adoption for different use cases such as test and development."
- "Secure multiparty computation (SMPC) is a method of distributed computing and cryptography that enables entities (e.g., applications, individuals, organizations or devices) to work with data, while keeping data or encryption keys in a protected state. Specifically, SMPC allows multiple entities to share insights, while keeping identifiable or otherwise sensitive data confidential from each other."
- "Historically, data protection has focused on securing data at rest and in transit. However, SMPC-based methods introduce data protection in use, much like homomorphic encryption. "
To read more Gartner recommendations on data security, submit the form for complimentary access to this report.
Gartner does not endorse any vendor, product or service depicted in its research publications and does not advise technology users to select only those vendors with the highest ratings or other designation. Gartner research publications consist of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization and should not be construed as statements of fact. Gartner disclaims all warranties, expressed or implied, with respect to this research, including any warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.
Gartner and Hype Cycle are registered trademarks of Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates in the U.S. and internationally and is used herein with permission. All rights reserved.
This graphic was published by Gartner, Inc. as part of a larger research document and should be evaluated in the context of the entire document. The Gartner document is available upon request from Baffle.
Gartner, Hype Cycle for Data Security, Brian Lowans, 4th August 2022